List:       python-dev
Subject:    Re: [Python-Dev] Mercurial?
From:       Philippe Fremy <phil () freehackers ! org>
Date:       2009-04-06 9:14:39

Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 10:21, Philippe Fremy <phil@freehackers.org> wrote:
>> One question: if somebody pushes a changeset with 3 commits, will the
>> pre and post hooks be applied on all of the commits, or only on the
>> final commit ?
>>
>> If this is applied on every commit, then you have no way to fix a
>> whitespace problem without rewriting your history ?
>
> Correct, so if the latter is something we want, we could run the
> whitespace hook just on every changegroup (group of changesets
> pushed).

Probably wise, and for many other checks as well.

This is a problem I have with my daily usage of mercurial. It's supposed
to be great to work offline and to commit your intermediate versions
before it's fully working but if you do that, all those intermediate non
working versions find their way into the main repository.

This means that something like "all test pass 100% or close on every
version of the repository" is not really feasible unless every committer
agrees not to have any version in his local repository that does not
break any tests. Which defeats part of the purpose of being able to have
a local repository, no ?

cheers,

Philippe