List:       python-dev
Subject:    Re: [Python-Dev] The path module PEP
From:       Eric Nieuwland <eric.nieuwland () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2006-02-02 13:45:52

On 1 feb 2006, at 19:14, BJörn Lindqvist wrote:

> I've submitted an updated version of the PEP. The only major change is
> that instead of the method atime and property getatime() there is now
> only one method named atime(). Also some information about the string
> inheritance problem in Open Issues. I still have no idea what to do
> about it though.

The current PEP still contains some redundancy between properties and
methods under Specifications:

basename() <-> name
basename(), stripext() <-> namebase
splitpath() <-> parent, name (documented)
I would like to suggest to use only properties and use splitall() to
obtain a tuple with the complete breakdown of the path.
And may be splitall() could then be renamed to split().

The directory methods mkdir()/makedirs() and rmdir()/removedirs() could
be unified. To me it seems they only exist because of Un*x details.

my $0.005

--eric