List:       python-dev
Subject:    Re: [Python-Dev] The path module PEP
From:       "Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro" <gjc () inescporto ! pt>
Date:       2006-01-26 0:30:58

On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 21:37 +0100, BJörn Lindqvist wrote:
> Renaming methods because of PEP 8 (Gustavo, Ian, Jason)> > I'm personally not keen \
> on that. I like most of the names as they> are. abspath(), joinpath(), realpath() \
> and splitall() looks so much> better than abs_path(), join_path(), real_path() and \
> split_all() in my> eyes. If someone like the underscores I'll add it to Open \
> Issues.
<PEP8> Function Names
      Function names should be lowercase, with words separated by underscores      as \
                necessary to improve readability.
      mixedCase is allowed only in contexts where that's already the      prevailing \
style (e.g. threading.py), to retain backwards compatibility.  Method Names and \
                Instance Variables
      Use the function naming rules: lowercase with words separated by      \
underscores as necessary to improve readability.</PEP8>  It is very clear.  Whether \
you agree with PEP 8 or not is not relevantto this discussion.  Since this is a \
completely new module, it should becorrectly named from the start.  The "familiarity \
with os.path argument"is a very weak one, IMHO.  Plus, the names are full of \
redundancy.  Why abspath(), joinpath(),realpath(), splitall()?  Why not instead: \
absolute(), join(), real(),split() ?  Remember that they are all methods of a Path \
class, you don'tneed to keep repeating 'path' all over the place[1].  On a slightly \
different subject, regarding path / path, I think itfeels much more natural path + \
path.  Path.join is really just a stringconcatenation, except that it adds a path \
separator in the middle ifnecessary, if I'm not mistaken.  Best regards.
[1]  Yes, I'm the kind of guy who hates struct timeval having tv_sec andtv_usec field \
                members instead of sec and usec.
-- Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro<gjc@inescporto.pt> <gustavo@users.sourceforge.net>The \
universe is always one step beyond logic \