List:       python-dev
Subject:    [Python-Dev] PEP 348 (exception reorg) revised again
From:       Brett Cannon <bcannon () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-08-15 4:35:02

I am sure people mainly care about the big changes inroduced by
revision 1.8 of the PEP (http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0348.html).
So, first is that WindowsError is staying.  Enough people want it to
stay and have a legitimate use that I removed the proposal to ditch
it.

Second, I changed the bare 'except' proposal again to recommend its
removal.  I had been feeling they should just go for about a week, but
I solidified my thinking when I was talking with Alex and Anna
Martelli and managed to convince them bare 'except's should go after
Alex initially thought they should be changed to be ``except
Exception``.  This obviously goes against what Guido last said he
wanted, but I hope I can convince him to get rid of bare 'except's.

Minor stuff is fleshing out the arguments for TerminatingException (I
am sure Raymond loves that I am leaving this part in  =) and adding a
Roadmap for the transition.

-Brett