List:       python-db-sig
Subject:    Re: [DB-SIG] remote Windows database access tool building
From:       "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal () egenix ! com>
Date:       2013-03-26 11:44:33

On 26.03.2013 12:15, Vernon D. Cole wrote:
> Dear group:
>
> I am seeking your wisdom and advice.
>
> Here is my situation:  I am working for a small company (eHealthAfrica.org)
> who has taken a contract to build a software system to be used in
> collecting and analyzing data relating to polio vaccination efforts in
> northern Nigeria.  (This area contains the largest remaining pool of wild
> polio virus in the world. I have always wanted to write software that could
> change the world, and perhaps this is my chance.)  eHa prefers to do things
> in django and Ubuntu, and I have been collecting the data on that platform
> and building a PostgreSQL database. Now, the Center for Disease Control
> wants the data on an SQL Server so that they can analyze it using their
> existing tools.
>
> By great good fortune, I just happen to be the guy who maintains the module
> which can talk to both databases.
>
> It is possible to run a django server on a Windows platform using
> django-mssql, which uses an old fork of adodbapi internally.  I have signed
> up to help upgrade that package, and the django leadership has made noises
> that they would welcome the result into the realm of supported third-party
> packages.  One sticky point is that they don't like the fact that adodbapi
> runs only on Windows.  They really want to be able to get to SQL Server
> from a Linux box, too.  There are two open-source tools to do that, but
> neither one leaves potential users with a warm feeling.  Neither has the
> universal connection capability that ADO offers.  I ventured to suggest
> that a remote ADO proxy server might do the job.  The idea is to allow a
> Python program running on Linux to communicate an ADO request to a Windows
> box which would do the actual data access.  I think I know where, inside of
> adodbapi, I can inject remote procedure calls (or something similar) to
> make that happen.
>
> 1) Am I out of my mind?
>
> 2) I am leaning toward pyzmq (or something else) using 0MQ to talk between
> the Windows proxy and the client.  Is this a good choice of tools? Is there
> something better I should look at?
>
> 3) Will the result still be suitable for inclusion in pywin32, or should
> this new version strike out as a new, independent fork?

You might want to have a look at our mxODBC Connect product,
which was developed for situations like the one you describe:

http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBCConnect/

It let's you use the robust drivers for SQL Server directly
on the Windows server. The client is Python library with no
external dependencies, making setup on the client really easy.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Mar 26 2013)
2013-03-25: Released mxODBC 3.2.2 ...             http://egenix.com/go40
2013-03-13: Released eGenix pyOpenSSL 0.13 ...    http://egenix.com/go39
2013-04-10: Python Meeting Duesseldorf ...                 15 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/