List:       python-db-sig
Subject:    [DB-SIG] SQL-API
From:       ianb () colorstudy ! com (Ian Bicking)
Date:       2006-04-19 17:00:44

Hi guys.

So, I've been meaning to bring this up here, and what with the param
marker discussions...

Anyway, while doing the SQLObject 2 rewrite I wanted to extract some of
the machinery that has nothing to do with ORM stuff.  The result is
SQL-API: http://sqlobject.org/sqlapi/

Instead of fixing problems with DB-API, it tries more to wrap existing
DB-API drivers and give them a more consistent, higher-level interface.
  It's also intended to be pretty neutral about everything else, and it
is entirely procedural.

I'd really like to move this forward so that it can serve the purposes
of more than just SQLObject 2, so I'm interested in other consumers,
particularly people using very different strategies from SQLObject.
There's a lot of tricky aspects to using the DB-API that I think can
really be solved to everyone's satisfaction once, instead of each system
having to implement these things themselves -- things like
configuration, logging, pooling, exceptions, and also a place to hang
other more complex stuff like database portability information, or the
occassional driver monkeypatch.

Both the scope and implementation of SQL-API is fairly open at this
point, so I'm very open to suggestions or contributions.