List:       python-db-sig
Subject:    [DB-SIG] Announcing SnakeSQL
From:       james () pythonweb ! org (James Gardner)
Date:       2004-11-25 2:58:13

Hi All,

Just thought some of you may be interested in this pure Python database
I've written over the last couple of weeks.

The download URL is http://www.pythonweb.org/projects/snakesql/

SnakeSQL is a pure Python SQL database written to remove the dependence
of the Python Web Modules on 3rd party C-based database drivers but
designed to be a useful database in its own right.

The database supports the simplest possible subset of ANSI SQL 92
including NULLs (something other pure Python databases such as Gadfly do
not currently support as far as I know).

The database is fully DB-API 2.0 compliant and is written in layers so
that it could be extended to support different storage mechanisms.
Currently implemented are a fast binary DBM driver (default) and a
slower CSV file driver (handy for viewing table contents when designing
and developing an application or database structure).

This is an alpha release designed to give interested users the chance to
feedback bug reports or comments. The database appears stable on Windows
XP Python 2.2 and 2.3 and successfully runs the test script and test SQL
in Interactive Prompt mode. It has not been tested more extensively. If
you use the database and it doesn't work, please let me know.

Documentation is at http://www.pythonweb.org/projects/snakesql/doc/0.3.4/

All the best,

James
--