List:       python-cpp-sig
Subject:    Re: [C++-sig] New Major-Release Boost.Python Development
From:       Stefan Seefeld <stefan () seefeld ! name>
Date:       2011-08-27 16:00:29

On 08/26/2011 08:21 PM, Jim Bosch wrote:
> On 08/26/2011 04:47 PM, Neal Becker wrote:
>> The top of my list is improved interface to numpy.  I know there is
>> work going
>> on in the form of ndarray, which seems promising.
>
> I'm still hesitant to consider ndarray part of Boost.Python; it's
> really a separate library, and I think providing a full
> multidimensional array class to be outside the scope of what
> Boost.Python should be.  But I do intend to keep developing ndarray in
> parallel with Boost.Python, and some code may well flow from ndarray
> to Boost.Python.
>
> This summer, Stefan Seefeld has been mentoring Ankit Daftery on a GSOC
> project to clean up the low-level Boost.Python Numpy interface in the
> Boost sandbox (which began life as part of ndarray).  While it may not
> be an official part of Boost.Python or Boost (it may be submitted as a
> separate library) immediately, that will provide an improved interface
> to Numpy on a much shorter timescale than the larger Boost.Python
> upgrades I'm thinking of for v3.
>
> Ultimately I would like to incorporate this low-level Numpy support as
> an optional component in the mainline Boost.Python v3, but I don't
> want to tie Boost.Python users to a particular C++ array class, even
> my own.

I really think that this should be a separate module (right now we call
it tentatively "boost.numpy"). It introduces additional dependencies
which not all boost.python users may be interested in.

And yes, I had planned that we could address enough of the remaining
issues to be able to submit boost.numpy for formal review within the
next couple of months, i.e. ideally even before the end of this year.

FWIW,

    Stefan