List:       python-cpp-sig
Subject:    Re: [C++-sig] what do I need to correctly port boost python
From:       Hans Meine <hans_meine () gmx ! net>
Date:       2009-12-21 8:45:10

Hi

Am Montag, 14. Dezember 2009 23:09:31 schrieb Nikolaus Rath:
> Alexey Akimov <alexey.akimov85@gmail.com> writes:
> > However I am still wondering if there is a way to avoid rebuilding the
> > extension when one travel from machine to machine.
>
> The only way is to have exactly the same runtime environment (i.e.,
> having installed the same distributions with the same version on the
> same architecture). Otherwise you have to recompile.

I think you're a bit too pessimistic.  While I agree that the
"normal"/standard way on Linux(*) is to recompile for a specific distribution
/ machine type, there is the LSB standard which makes certain distributions
"similar enough" so that your binary might work.

Read: You could try an existing binary before recompiling, when the machines
are not too different.

Ciao, /  /
     /--/
    /  / ANS

*: OK, there is proprietary, closed-source software which is usualy
distributed together with most dependencies, either statically linked or with
a bit .so collection and some shell script / LD_LIBRARY_PATH startup magic.