List:       python-cpp-sig
Subject:    [C++-sig] Polymorphism and Dangling Reference exception
From:       nonexistent.ftp () gmail ! com (Garrick Chin)
Date:       2006-05-28 4:56:13

On 5/24/06, David Abrahams <dave at boost-consulting.com> wrote:
> David Abrahams <dave at boost-consulting.com> writes:
>
> > "Garrick Chin" <nonexistent.ftp at gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> ReferenceError: Attempt to return dangling reference to object of
> >> type: class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class
> >> std::allocator<char> >
> >>
> >> I do not understand why this would be thrown.
> >
> > Me neither.  What is your compiler and platform, please?
>
> FWIW, the enclosed works for me:
>

> --
> Dave Abrahams
> Boost Consulting
> www.boost-consulting.com

Hmm... I wiped my test project and created a new one from scratch and
now the test is working correctly oddly enough.  I don't know why it
wasn't working before, but it seems to have been a fluke, possibly
something to do with messed up project settings.  For what it's worth,
I was using Visual Studio 8 on 32-bit Windows XP.