List:       python-announce-list
Subject:    [RELEASE] Python 3.9.2rc1 and 3.8.8rc1 are now available for testing
From:       Łukasz_Langa <lukasz () langa ! pl>
Date:       2021-02-17 12:50:06

I'm happy to announce two release candidates today: Python 3.9.2rc1, and Python \
3.8.8rc1. Get them from:

https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-392rc1/ \
<https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-392rc1/>

https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-388rc1/ \
<https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-388rc1/>

Unless critical issues are discovered, both release candidates will become their \
respective final versions on Monday, March 1st. Following that, the last full regular \
maintenance release of Python 3.8 is planned for May 3rd 2021, after which it will \
shift to source releases only for security bug fixes only. Maintenance releases for \
the 3.9 series will continue at regular bi-monthly intervals, with 3.9.3 planned for \
early May 2021.

Notable security content in today's releases

bpo-42967 <https://bugs.python.org/issue42967>: Fix web cache poisoning vulnerability \
by defaulting the query args separator to &, and allowing the user to choose a custom \
separator.

bpo-42938 <https://bugs.python.org/issue42938>: Avoid static buffers when computing \
the repr of ctypes.c_double and ctypes.c_longdouble values.

What's new?

The Python 3.9 series contains many new features and optimizations over 3.8. See the \
"What's New in Python 3.9 <https://docs.python.org/3.9/whatsnew/3.9.html>" document \
for more information about features included in the 3.9 series. We also have a \
detailed change log for 3.9.2rc1 \
<https://docs.python.org/release/3.9.2rc1/whatsnew/changelog.html#changelog> \
specifically.

Detailed information about all changes made in version 3.8.8rc1 specifically can be \
found in its change log \
<https://docs.python.org/release/3.8.8rc1/whatsnew/changelog.html#python-3-8-8-release-candidate-1>.

We hope you enjoy those new releases!

Thanks to all of the many volunteers who help make Python Development and these \
releases possible! Please consider supporting our efforts by volunteering yourself or \
through organization contributions to the Python Software Foundation.

Your friendly release team,
Ned Deily @nad <https://discuss.python.org/u/nad>
Steve Dower @steve.dower <https://discuss.python.org/u/steve.dower>
Łukasz Langa @ambv <https://discuss.python.org/u/ambv>