List:       python-3000
Subject:    [Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131
From:       stephen () xemacs ! org (Stephen J !  Turnbull)
Date:       2007-06-13 4:43:33

Jim Jewett writes:

 > On 6/11/07, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:

 > > But this is something that only a small subset of developers-of-Python
 > > seem to be concerned about.

This is a statement about the politics of changing an accepted PEP.
Without massive outcry, ain' agonna happ'm, Cap'n.

Remember, I've been in your camp w.r.t. "Python should provide
auditing" throughout.  If we can't get it in the language, I'm looking
for an *existing mechanism*.

 > The "codec does a bit more than you expect" option has been available
 > since 2.3 for people who want an expanded ID charset.  (Just
 > transliterate the extra characters into the moral equivalent of an
 > escape.)  It doesn't seem to have been used.

I would have done it immediately after PEP 263 if I had known how to
implement codecs.  It doesn't surprise me nobody else has done it.
This concept is probably sufficiently unobvious to meet the USPTO
criteria for patentability.<wink>

 > > That doesn't mollify those who think I should not be allowed to use
 > > non-ASCII identifiers at all.
 >
 > There is a subtle distinction there.  I am among those who think you
 > should not use non-ASCII identifiers *without an explicit
 > declaration.*

So you're saying that you want to impose this check on all
Python *users* (not the developers; you can refuse the developers'
code yourself).  Fine, if you can get that past Guido and Martin.

All I'm trying to do here is find a way that *you* and *Josiah* can
get what you want in *your* installations, with existing mechanisms.
If you want to make it a default, discuss that with Guido and Martin;
that requires modifying the PEP.