List:       pypy-dev
Subject:    Re: [pypy-dev] Translation with pypy picking up wrong libraries
From:       David Naylor <naylor.b.david () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-06-30 15:59:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday, 29 June 2012 21:46:58 Ronny Pfannschmidt wrote:
> Hi David,

Hi

> i proceeded with refining my changes,
> moving all code related to writing these dumps out of lib_pypy

Thanks

> i'd like to know why you are relocating lib_pypy/lib-python

I am slowly integrating pypy into FreeBSD Port's Collection, with the eventual
goal of installing third party python based ports (i.e. setup.py and such).
FreeBSD follows a standard (I think) posix directory layout.  As such I wanted
the pypy binary to live in $PREFIX/bin and the libraries in $PREFIX/lib.

The convention for cPython is to have the libraries as $PREFIX/lib/python2.7,
so for pypy I wanted to have $PREFIX/lib/pypy1.9 (although I did consider
$PREFIX/lib/pypython2.7), which leaves the lib_pypy libraries.  These cannot
be renamed to anything such as pypy1.9 so I stuck them within the standard
libraries directory.  A condition for this is the libraries cannot conflict
with cPython.

Previously I had an explicit directory $PREFIX/pypy-1.9 where I had all the
files (including the binary) with sym-links for the binaries to $PREFIX/bin.
This, however, I considered less clean.

Regards