List:       pypy-dev
Subject:    Re: [pypy-dev] deepcopy slower in PyPy - testing script
From:       "Jorge de Jesus" <jmdj () pml ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2011-09-08 13:45:51

 Hi to all

That was an interesting result, so (for what I understood) there is
nothing wrong with PyPy, it's just the code I'm trying to run doesn't
have "sufficient" loops  for the JIT to kickstart and be useful ?

Any one has a copy of "PyPy for dummies" ^_^

All the best
Jorge

On 08/09/11 14:23, David Fraser wrote:
> On Thursday, September 8, 2011 at 12:58:54 PM, Jorge de Jesus <jmdj@pml.ac.uk> \
> wrote:
> > Hi to all
> >
> > Thank you for all the answers concerning the topic.
> >
> > The deepcopy testing script in issue 767 [1], is working faster in PyPy
> > than in CPython, but deepcopy is run on a list of numbers.
> >
> > BUT, PyWPS runs a lot of DOM functions and deepcopy calls that pass DOM
> > Elements as argument.  Just to add my 2cents, it seems that a deepcopy
> > of a complexer object (compared to a number list) is slower in PyPy
> >
> > I've managed to replicate the problem in a small script  [2] that is
> > slower in PyPy:
> > python 2.7.1+ : 0.3057 s
> > pypy1.6 (jit): 1.42s
> > pypy-c-1.6.svn: 1.23s
> >
> > The pypy-c-1.6-svn is a compiled version from the SVN and its
> > compilation options can be found here [3] . The tests were done in 32bit
> > machine
> >
> > Can someone give a look at the testing script and determine why is it
> > slow ?!
> >
> > Thank you for the support, and I must say that PyPy is an amazing
> > project !!!!
> I've attached a slightly modified version of your script that uses timeit to \
> measure the time, and takes an argument to specify the number of repeats...
> This shows that PyPy gets faster as the JIT kicks in:
> python2.7      1000    0.33
> python2.7      10000   0.33
> python3.2      1000    0.41
> python3.2      10000   0.40
> pypy   1000    1.29
> pypy   10000   0.22
> pypy   100000  0.08
>
> Hope that helps
>
> David

Plymouth Marine Laboratory

Registered Office:
Prospect Place
The Hoe
Plymouth  PL1 3DH

Website: www.pml.ac.uk
Click here for PML Annual Review
Registered Charity No. 1091222
PML is a company limited by guarantee
registered in England & Wales
company number 4178503

Please think before you print

This e-mail, its content and any file attachments are confidential.

If you have received this e-mail in error please do not copy, disclose it to any \
third party or use the contents or attachments in any way. Please notify the sender \
by replying to this e-mail or e-mail forinfo@pml.ac.uk and then delete the email \
without making any copies or using it in any other way.

The content of this message may contain personal views which are not the views of \
Plymouth Marine Laboratory unless specifically stated.

You are reminded that e-mail communications are not secure and may contain viruses. \
Plymouth Marine Laboratory accepts no liability for any loss or damage which may be \
                caused by viruses.