List:       pypy-dev
Subject:    Re: [pypy-dev] [pypy-commit] pypy reflex-support: Remove
From:       wlavrijsen () lbl ! gov
Date:       2011-08-25 16:14:09

Hi Anto,

> > -    @jit.elidable_promote()
> > def _get_offset(self, w_cppinstance):
> > cppinstance = self.space.interp_w(W_CPPInstance, w_cppinstance,
> > can_be_None=True)
> > if cppinstance:
>
> are you sure that you really want to kill this promote? I suspect that it
> makes accessing to C++ fields much slower, because it has to recalculate the
> offset every time.

just as a follow-up, this was the translation problem I ran into:

[translation:ERROR]    File \
"/home/wlav/pypydev/pypy/pypy/jit/codewriter/jtransform.py", line 271, in \
rewrite_op_direct_call [translation:ERROR]     return getattr(self, 'handle_%s_call' \
% kind)(op) [translation:ERROR]    File \
"/home/wlav/pypydev/pypy/pypy/jit/codewriter/jtransform.py", line 319, in \
handle_residual_call [translation:ERROR]     calldescr = \
self.callcontrol.getcalldescr(op) [translation:ERROR]    File \
"/home/wlav/pypydev/pypy/pypy/jit/codewriter/call.py", line 247, in getcalldescr \
[translation:ERROR]     assert effectinfo is not None [translation:ERROR]  \
AssertionError

for functions, I have the interp_w in the calling function, so I'm guessing
that the problem is with the promote, not with the elidability. I'll change
that to be the same as for functions, which should then work.

Actually, I'm thinking that an assert would work just as well. But that would
really be the kind of optimization that I'm not yet in for. :)

Best regards,
            Wim
--
WLavrijsen@lbl.gov    --    +1 (510) 486 6411    --    www.lavrijsen.net