List:       pypy-dev
Subject:    Re: [pypy-dev] a faster Python not a primary goal of PyPy?
From:       David Fraser <davidf () sjsoft ! com>
Date:       2005-09-29 10:13:46

Alex Martelli wrote:

>--- Armin Rigo <arigo@tunes.org> wrote:
>

>>If anyone shows up with a Javascript parser, I'm sure we could
>>together
>>hack (and translate (and later have a JIT from)) a basic Javascript
>>interpreter within a few weeks :-)
>>

>Actually, I think the currently useful thing might be a way to
>compile (any decent language, Python for choice) INTO Javascript
>(with reasonable efficiency), so one could write AJAX pages without
>actually having to code in Javascript...;-)
>
>Alex

I took a stab at this once based on somebody else's code...

http://davidf.sjsoft.com/files/py2js

I found some Python constructs ended up being tricky to translate to
JavaScript (as the rest of the thread said).
So the idea here was to be able to start with some Python code, get it
into basic JavaScript syntax, but then you'd probably have to munge it
anyway

Cheers
David