List:       pykde
Subject:    Re: [PyQt] Licensing PyQt
From:       Kyle Altendorf <sda () fstab ! net>
Date:       2019-08-14 11:56:59

On August 14, 2019 4:36:34 AM EDT, Phil Thompson <phil@riverbankcomputing.com> wrote:
> On 14/08/2019 09:23, Adrian Sochacki wrote:
> > Hey,
> > I have trouble understanding the GNU GPL v3 licenese in combination
> of
> > PyQt.
> > Riverbank says himself:
> > "PyQt is dual licensed on all supported platforms under the GNU GPL
> v3
> > and
> > the Riverbank Commercial License."(
> > https://riverbankcomputing.com/software/pyqt/intro)
> > Do I have to treat my script under the GNU GPL v3 license the moment
> > import the PyQt module into my script?
>
> Yes.

If you don't use the commercial license, then yes.  If you use the commercial license \
then the whole point would be to not have to be under the GPL.

> > I want to write a .ui file for my python sript and would want to
> treat
> > the
> > .ui file with the GNU GPL v3 license and my own written script
> > differently
> > if it is possible. Then I would load the .ui file via my script.
>
> You would have to dual license your .ui file so that you could use it
> in
> your script without the GPL infecting it. Other users of the .ui file
> could then only use it in GPL-compatible code (I assume that is your
> intent). As your own script would not have a GPL-compatible license
> (otherwise what's the point?) you would need a commercial PyQt license.

The GPL does not infect data files, neither input nor output.  The .ui file itself \
need have no license relationship to the source code.  A pyuic5 generated .py would \
import pyqt and would presumably be imported into your otherwise GPL application so \
the .py would end up being GPL.  If both of those were not the case the resulting \
file would be free of any GPL restrictions and owned entirely by the author, ready \
for any license they choose. Also, if the .ui were loaded dynamically then there \
would be no ui-related file getting infected by the GPL.

Cheers,
-kyle