List:       pykde
Subject:    Re: [PyQt] SIP Enums and docstring
From:       Phil Thompson <phil () riverbankcomputing ! com>
Date:       2019-03-05 22:48:58

On 5 Mar 2019, at 9:02 am, Denis Rouzaud <denis.rouzaud@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi list, hi Phil,
>
> I am currently at a way of documenting enums and I am not sure what is the best \
> approach.
> 1) SIP uses a custom type for enums and not the native Python one available since \
> 3.4. Is it worth switching?

Python enums are used to wrap C++11 scoped enums. In PyQt6 they will be used for all \
enums.

> 2) SIP errors when you try to documents enums. That would need to be fixed in \
> sipgen, correct? Would we document the enum only or its members too? What would be \
> the syntax?

I don't see what the issue is with the syntax - do the same as with classes and \
attributes.

> 3) In SIP lib, we would need to adapt the creation of enums to handle the \
> docstring. A new member needs to be added to _sipEnumTypeObject to save the \
> docstring. But then how handling this in createEnum?

I'm not willing to make any changes to data structures that will require the major \
version of the SIP ABI to be changed at this stage. I want the change required by \
SIP5 to be the next and last one.

Phil