List:       pykde
Subject:    Re: [PyQt] pytz and timezones....
From:       Phil Thompson <phil () riverbankcomputing ! com>
Date:       2015-11-24 15:17:47

On 24 Nov 2015, at 2:55 p.m., John M. Hackett <john.hackett@icon-is.co.uk> wrote:

> My App builds but a "UnknownTimeZoneError" is thrown by pytz/__init__.pyo when it \
> is run.
> I've put various logging lines and its looks to me as if the issue is where this \
> file tries to confirm the existence of the zoneinfo file(s): for each tz in a \
> hardcoded array it checks to see if it can open the file defined as:
> filename = os.path.join(os.path.dirname(__file__),'zoneinfo', *name_parts)
>
> This generates something like ":/pytz/zoneinfo/Europe/London".
>
> Now the question is what does the ":" represent? The actual path to the pre-build \
> file is, in this example, "$SYSROOT/resources/pytz/zoneinfo/Europe/London" which \
> does exist.
> So, when pyqtdeploy builds the App does the ":" in the filename above represent the \
> "internal" root of the App so that when it tries to open this file it is looking \
> within the App's own directory structure and not some "real" path?
> If this is not the case and it is trying to open a file external to the app and \
> within the general filesystem how can I get to read the zoneinfo which is, I \
> assume, being embedded in the App as a resource?

The ":" tells Qt that the file is stored in a rcc generated file. QFile understands \
this, the regular Python open() function doesn't.

You have, I think, two choices. One is to distribute the zoneinfo files outside of \
the executable, in which case you will need to change pytz to locate them correctly \
(something based on sys.executable?).

The other choice is to change pytz to use QFile to read the zoneinfo files.

Phil