List:       pykde
Subject:    Re: [PyQt] =?utf-8?q?Can=27t_use_static_PyQ5_build_during_development?=
From:       "Marius Shekow" <marius.shekow () fit ! fraunhofer ! de>
Date:       2015-11-11 15:02:38

Am Mittwoch, 11. November 2015 12:59 CET, Phil Thompson <phil@riverbankcomputing.com> \
schrieb:
> On 10 Nov 2015, at 4:07 p.m., Marius Shekow <marius.shekow@fit.fraunhofer.de> \
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > my goal is to distribute a redistributable application on Mac OS X, not making \
> > any assumptions about what Python, Qt, PyQt, ... the user has installed. I.e. my \
> > goal is to produce a self-contained build.
> > For this I want to use the existing/unmodified (dynamically linked) Python 3.4 \
> > and Qt 5.5.1 distributions (because building them myself is hard), and statically \
> > compile the other dependencies, such as SIP, PyQt, sqlite3, etc.
> > I'm using Mac OS X El Capitan. I've downloaded Python 3.4.3 from the official \
> > website and installed it. I've downloaded SIP from the RiverSide homepage and \
> > compiled it statically (with python3 configure.py --static + make + sudo make \
> > install). I.e. I'm using the python3 binary (for configuration) that is installed \
> > from the official Python 3.4.3 installer.
> > I've downloaded and installed Qt 5.5.1 from the official Qt homepage (the \
> > 32/64-bit Intel distribution). This installs it to ~/Qt5.5.1
> > I've then downloaded the PyQt5 sources and also built them statically (python3 \
> > configure.py --static --qmake ~/Qt5.5.1/5.5/clang_64/bin/qmake) I've also done \
> > "sudo make install".
>
> Static libraries have to be linked against application code to create an \
> executable. What are you linking against?
I didn't even get to linking anything. All I wanted to do is to execute my PyQt \
application on the development machine itself (like a sanity check) before going to \
the next step: compiling a redistributable binary with pyqtdeploy.

> > The issue is that I can't really develop Python code this way. My IDE (PyCharm) \
> > claims that there is nothing in the PyQt5 package in site-packages. The directory \
> > is there, in /LIbrary/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.4/lib/python3.4/site-packages/PyQt5. \
> > It contains an __init__.py, a bunch of .a library files and the uic directory \
> > with lots of other stuff". But references such as PyQt5.WtWidgets can't be \
> > resolved.
> > I'd really like to be able to code in Python on MacOS X with that static version. \
> > Is that possible?
>
> If you plan to use the standard Qt and Python builds then what do you expect to \
> gain from a static build of PyQt?
Since I was to make working redistributable applications using pyqtdeploy ONLY when \
having PyQt compiled statically, this was the reason why I compiled it statically. \
I'm beginning to think that in order to be able to run my PyQt application (On the \
development machine) AND to be able to make a build using pyqtdeploy, I need to built \
PyQt5 twice, the statically AND dynamically linked version.