List:       pykde
Subject:    Re: [PyQt] QSystemTrayIcon - can you change the size/aspect?
From:       Brian Knudson <briank () pipelinefx ! com>
Date:       2012-07-09 18:05:15

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Jul 9, 2012, at 10:51 AM, Glenn Linderman wrote:

> On 7/9/2012 10:43 AM, Brian Knudson wrote:
> > As an example, I'm looking at Adobe updater's system tray icon.  It has the Adobe \
> > logo & a number next to it that denotes the number of updates available.  In \
> > order to do this, the icon is wider than it is tall.
> > screen shot: http://churchofbk.com/misc/tray_icon.png
> >
> > I would love to be able to do this with one of my apps, as the whole point of the \
> > app is to make a certain number of cores available to some other process - so it \
> > becomes much more usable as a tray icon if it shows the number of available cores \
> > at any one time.
> > With that, can the size/geometry of a QSystemTrayIcon be changed so that it isn't \
> > square?  If I try to give it a non-square image, it gets scaled while maintaining \
> > aspect ratio until it fits in a 16x16 or 22x22 box.
>
> Are you sure that Adobe isn't using two adjacent system tray icons? That was my \
> first impression when I looked at your screen shot. But your screen shot doesn't \
> look like a Windows system tray, is it Linux or something? I didn't even know \
> anything but Windows had system trays...

It's OS X.  I don't believe it's called a "System tray" in OS X, but as far as Qt is \
concerned, it's the area where QSystemTrayIcons go.

I had initially thought that it was 2 icons as well, but that doesn't *appear* to be \
the case - the whole thing highlights on click & the menu always appears in the same \
place, regardless of where I click.  I suppose there could be quite a bit of trickery \
at play here, but I wanted to ask before I started investigating if it's worth trying \
to use two icons & make them appear as one.

-Brian