List:       pykde
Subject:    Re: [PyQt] Odd inconsistent use of Qt mkspecs
From:       William Kyngesburye <woklist () kyngchaos ! com>
Date:       2010-10-30 18:39:47

On Oct 30, 2010, at 1:12 PM, Phil Thompson wrote:

> > First thing I noticed is that SIP uses its own set of mkspecs.  Why not
> > use mkspecs from Qt?
>
> Because SIP is not specific to Qt.

Does SIP *always* compile in the Qt config info, even if Qt is not installed?  Seems \
odd.

Or is the 'platform' value not specific to Qt, but happens to match Qt spec names \
when Qt was found?  As long as I understand this, then I can live with explicitly \
setting the spec for PyQt and hacking a custom spec for building SIP.

> > I traced it to configure.py, get_build_macros(), where it forces
> > "macx-g++" for darwin and "default" for everything else.  Why doesn't
> PyQt
> > use the platform config value from SIP?
>
> Because the default on Mac is to use XCode. Maybe a better thing to do
> would be only force macx-g++ when the detected value is macx-xcode.

The default for a long time with the binaries from Qt has been macx-g++.  I even \
played around with compiling my own Qt recently (4.6.x) and the default was macx-g++. \
I have some notes from compiling 4.1 and I didn't do anything to change the default, \
and though I don't remember what that default was I probably would have noticed if it \
was macx-xcode.

> > Sure, I can set QMAKESPEC in the
> > shell environment, but I was expecting PyQt to get everything from SIP.
> >

> > I guess the SIP local mkspecs copy is the main problem.  Everything else
> > can work around with configuration and environment settings, but the SIP
> > mkspecs problem requires a hack.
>
> Linux distros have a history of "improving" the spec files. PyQt should be
> built with the same compiler flags as Qt, which is why PyQt uses the spec
> files from Qt.

I meant, PyQt could get the *name* of the spec file to use from SIP, not *use* the \
spec file from SIP (which is not installed anyways).  If the 'platform' from SIP is \
the spec name.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Those people who most want to rule people are, ipso-facto, those least suited to do \
it."

- A rule of the universe, from the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy