List:       pykde
Subject:    Re: [PyKDE] SIP issues.
From:       Gerard Vermeulen <gerard.vermeulen () grenoble ! cnrs ! fr>
Date:       2004-11-24 11:50:01

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:34:08 -0000 (GMT)
"Phil Thompson" <phil@riverbankcomputing.co.uk> wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > When trying to wrap QwtPlot3D (http://qwtplot3d.sourceforge.net), I
> > encountered
> > several issues with SIP:
> >
> > (1) Problems in getting an (abstract) virtual operator() working. Finally,
> >     the following code works with SIP4 (thanks to the extra class
> > PyFunction)
> >     but not (yet) with SIP3:
>
> I don't think virtual operators are supposed to work (that's a feature).
> The parser should complain if you try (that's a bug). I'll look in more
> detail.

Obviously it made it past the SIP4 (but not SIP3) parser.

QwtPlot3D has 4 occurrences of 'virtual TYPE operator(..) = 0;' and 1
occurrence of 'virtual TYPE operator(..);'

It is quite a common C++ idiom for classes that act like a mathematical
function, so I would hate it if you make the parser complain (I do not think
that it is important that SIP recognizes the '= 0').

I think, I can show how to change the generated code so that it works without
my hack of an extra helper class.  I'll try to do that tonight.

Gerard