List:       pykde
Subject:    [PyKDE] Re: Slow memory leak when paintCell is overridden in
From:       Phil Thompson <phil () riverbankcomputing ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-11-21 13:11:47

On Saturday 20 November 2004 2:40 am, Tuvi, Selim wrote:
> Hi, we have a module which displays some statistics in a QListView. We
> wanted to change how the list view looked like so we subclassed the
> QListViewItem and implemented our own paintCell method.
>
> When we override the paintCell method, we observe a slow memory leak. If we
> do not override the paintCell method then the memory leak does not occur.
>
> I am attaching a standalone version of the module that you can test.
>
> We are running under Windows XP, PyQt 3.13, SIP 4.1, Qt 3.3.3 and Python
> 2.3.4 all compiled with Visual Studio .NET 2003.
>
> The memory leak can be observed under the task manager, Processes tab,
> under the VM Size column.
>
> I haven't verified yet if this is a problem with Qt or PyQt or maybe it is
> my code.

With SIP v4.0.1 I saw a very slow leak with your "working" code and a not so
very slow leak with your "broken" code.

With the current SIP snapshot I saw a very slow leak with both versions.
Subjectively I think the leak was slower than with v4.0.1.

I'll continue looking, but if you can try the snapshot I'd be interested to
know if you think it improved.

Phil