List:       pykde
Subject:    Re: [PyKDE] Re: sip-4 vs sip-3
From:       Gerard Vermeulen <gvermeul () grenoble ! cnrs ! fr>
Date:       2003-12-01 20:54:59

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 19:26:13 +0000
Phil Thompson <phil@riverbankcomputing.co.uk> wrote:

> Ok - I could fix it for names, because names aren't shared between modules.
> (At one point they were which is how they acquired numerical names.) But
> there are other things which I can't fix it for - type structures, virtual
> handlers, anything that is part of the low-level API exported from one module
> to another and are stored in tables. Changing the module is always going to
> potentially change the order of the contents of those tables.

Great! I was just reading gencode.c and concluded that even I could fix the
names. Guess it will reduce the average time for rebuilding by 80 or 90 %.

> Note that if you do change a module you should increment the version number in
> %Module statement. That's used at run-time to check you are running modules
> that are compatible with each other.

I see. The version number is good idea. I have seen the effect of Python
extension modules compiled with an outdated api header file importing
another extension module. Quite funny, once you understand what is going on.

Gerard