Phil, In developing PyQwt, I use two tricks to minimize the build time after fixing bugs or adding new methods: (1) 'smart' copying of sip's output from a buffer directory to the source directory (only copy when two sip output files differ below the time stamp comment at the top). (2) use of ccache In this respect sip-4 is a step back compared to sip-3. With sip-4, Addition of a single method to a single sip file leads always to a complete rebuild of PyQwt. In addition, ccache is far less efficient with sip-4 than with sip-3. One of the reasons (I hope the only one) is the fact that sip-4 is generating names as sipNm__qwt_5151 instead of the old symbolic sipName_QwtWheel. Presumably adding a new method, propagates different sipNames into all the sip-generated *.{cpp,h} files. Could it be possible to go back to the symbolic names, or use names like sipNm_ModuleName_ClassNumber_AttributeNumber to minimize changes in the generated source code? Gerard _______________________________________________ PyKDE mailing list PyKDE@mats.imk.fraunhofer.de http://mats.imk.fraunhofer.de/mailman/listinfo/pykde