List:       pyamf-dev
Subject:    [pyamf-dev] Flash chat using PyAMF
From:       lists () collab ! nl (Thijs Triemstra | Collab)
Date:       2008-02-29 18:05:37

Hi Akira,

I think you want something like RTMPy, under heavy development atm..
are you familiar with Flash Media Server or Red5?
It basically allows you to transport audio/video/data between a server/
client, like webcam streams, actionscript objects, sharedobjects etc.
We started out working on RTMPy but Nick suggested to create a generic
AMF library first, because of most of the stuff in RTMP is wrapped in
AMF.

So for a chat application you would create a NetConnection in the
Flash client that connects to RTMPy on rtmp://localhost/chat/room1
This puts you in an instance ('room1') of the the application
('chat'). From there you can broadcast a message to the room using
NetConnection.call('sendMessage', 'Hello World!')
or use SharedObjects that basically work the same. But you could also
use the Socket class in the Flash Player, use Twisted to create a
socket server, and use PyAMF to push
Actionscript objects to the client. An example of this can be found on \
http://blog.pyamf.org/archives/socket-example

hth,

Thijs