List:       puppet-users
Subject:    Re: [Puppet-users] Avoiding Automated changes
From:       Adam Kosmin <akosmin () 247realmedia ! com>
Date:       2008-01-31 20:38:02

Mark Farver wrote:
> So I've got puppet running, and I'm quite pleased with it... but I've
> got one (probably stupid) question.
>
> Management is nervous about Puppet making changes to production boxes
> without a human overseeing its behavior.  Is there a way to have the
> clients report differences in state without making changes, and then
> allowing operators to active those changes via some mechanism
> (puppetrun)?

This is simply a matter of QA'ing the changes IMHO. If no QA process
exists, then the concerns of Management are justified. If on the other
hand, changes can be tested before they are associated with production
nodes and Management is still nervous, then I'd say that there's nothing
puppet can do in that environment. After all, the whole idea of puppet
is to provide a road leading toward minimal human interaction thereby
reducing or eliminating the risks associated with that style of management.

So back to QA, I personally believe the best approach is to run another
instance of puppetmasterd on a non-standard port (8141 in my case) that
checks out a testing branch of whatever version control is being used.
Dedicated clients then pull from that instance of puppetmasterd and in
turn, provide an environment to test development code (e.g. manifests).

Once integrity is verified, the testing branch is then merged with the
production branch which is checked out by the production instance of
puppetmasterd.

http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet/wiki/BranchTesting

Best,
Adam