List:       puppet-users
Subject:    Re: [Puppet-users] tagmail.conf and reporting
From:       Luke Kanies <luke () madstop ! com>
Date:       2008-01-30 23:02:06

On Jan 31, 2008, at 6:32 AM, Kenton Brede wrote:

> On the server -
>
> [puppetmasterd]
> reports = tagmail,store
>
> In my tagmail.conf file "all: user@example.com" works fine.
>
> "all, !test_class: user@example.com" still reports "test_class."
> Does this mean it's not possible to exclude a class (tag) from
> the "all" designation?  Or is this a bug?

Hmm, looks like this is a bug -- I pass all messages every time if you
specify 'all'.

> When I try "err: user@example.com"  I get no reports when I use
> an intentionally broken test class that produces an "err."
>
> [host1]#  puppetd -t --tags test
>
> notice: Ignoring cache
> err: Could not retrieve catalog: Could not parse for environment
> development:
> Syntax error at '>'; expected '}' at /etc/puppet/manifests/classes/
> test.pp:3
>
> Am I not getting a report because the puppetd process aborts due to
> the
> parse error?  This is precisely the type of error I'd want to see.  Or
> have I not
> configured reports correctly?

The problem is that the report you're getting is a transaction report,
and the failure you're experiencing happens before the transaction
instance even exists.  I agree it's a problem, but I haven't figured
out a way to solve it yet.  Admittedly, I haven't worked on it as hard
as I might have...

--
Always read stuff that will make you look good if you die in the
middle of it. -- P. J. O'Rourke