List:       publib
Subject:    Re: [PubLib] Software for Volunteer Management
From:       "Theyer, Hillary" <HTheyer () TORRANCECA ! GOV>
Date:       2017-02-28 2:50:06

Hi Mindy!

what do you need the software to do - track work and be a timesheet, track approvals \
(fingerprints, driving record, etc.) provide contact info to print a mailing label \
for an annual volunteer dinner, track hours for recognition levels, track assignments \
and supervisors, all of the above?

We use Volgistics on the City end (the City pays for it), and it does all that, but \
only if you can use it that way.  We in the library don't use a lot of those \
functions due to some combination of training, ease, turnover, need, etc.  Basically, \
only the volunteer coordinator uses it as the application dumps right into it, then \
she can route them to the appropriate work unit, then log that they are approved and \
ready to work, and where.  When we need hours tracked, names of volunteers to invite \
to the dinner, etc. we do more manual work, relying on the onsite supervisors to do \
it.

Library alone, without the City paying for it, I don't know that we would get a \
system that robust, it needs to be robust for more than us (hey, that rhymes!).  Or I \
would insist that we fully use the system, and know that would mean investing in the \
front end of training multiple staff, training volunteers to log their hours online, \
providing access to a computer so volunteers could log their hours online, etc.

I wouldn't overpay for functions you would not find useful, or useful on a scale that \
would make it worth paying for.

Hillary

Hillary Theyer
City Librarian