List:       publib
Subject:    [PubLib] Publisher/Vendor/Library Relations Interest Group Forum Call for Speakers
From:       <sochayle () MSU ! EDU>
Date:       2016-11-29 18:33:46

Are you interested in giving the librarian point of view for the
Publisher/Vendor/Library Relations Interest Group Forum at ALA Midwinter?

Please email me if interested: Lee Sochay, sochayle@msu.edu

ABOUT THE EVENT:
Title: Defining a Sustainable E-book Model: Questions and Answers about
Digital Monographs
Time: Monday, January 23, 8:30am-10:00am
Location: GWCC B215

ABOUT THE TOPIC

Although national statistics which track e-books trends suggests that sales
are decreasing, the development of new e-book business models appears to be
on the rise. Libraries are struggling to manage a variety of e-book
platforms from a vast array of publishers. Purchase options include
individual monograph selection, subscription models, usage driven purchases,
and e-book collections which have gotten bigger and bigger. Other issues
include multiple platforms and access. While publishers and vendors pursue
ways to maximize revenue, there has been push back from libraries, which
want to get content on an “as needed” basis. E-books are not as easy to
manage, it can be hard for a library to acquire content, and e-book models
keeps evolving.

The January 2017 PLVR panel discussion will provide a forum for the
discussion about key trends for e-books in libraries. We will address
questions about how publishers, vendors and libraries can negotiate issues
surrounding business models, electronic property rights, print and download
limits. How can publishers assure availability and access in the future?
What gives everybody the best return on investment? We will also discuss
accessibility options: what are the requirements for accessibility how
should it be built into an e-book platform? What is its effect on libraries?

This session will bring together librarians, publishing professionals and
library services representatives to brainstorm future directions and lead a
discussion about finding solutions to these challenges.

We hope that you will be able to address a few of the following issues and
questions:

Regarding the future of business models:
•	Print and e-books – what do libraries and users really need and want?
•	E-book business models in libraries – past/present/future – or what works
and why?
•	How do vendors, publishers and libraries make e-content/e-books accessible
for all

Regarding Sustainability:
•	Sustainability is important to libraries as we want to ensure availability
to the resources important to our collections and we want to ensure
perpetual access to the titles that we purchase.  What could be some
opportunities to work collaboratively and transparently in developing models
that give sustainability, value, and the desired accessibility?
•	Could there be more transparency on the required system architecture and
costs needed to perpetually maintain ebook content and accessibility? Are
there collaborative opportunities in providing actual system structure while
maintaining intellectual property rights?
•	Open access is certainly a topic of discussion. What are the practical
issues and foreword looking concerns of this type of model?

Regarding accessibility:
•	What current assistant technology do you offer?
•	What skills does the users need to learn?
•	Is training included in the purchase price?
•	Are there any limitations or risks?
•	Do you offer a trial period?
•	What repair and maintenance services do you offer?
•	What future plans do you have for development?

Post to publib@oclc.org
To drop or change your list settings
http://listserv.oclc.org/scripts/wa.exe?REPORT
List archives at