List:       publib
Subject:    [PubLib] Timeline Entry for 1983: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
From:       Nanette Perez <nperez () ALA ! ORG>
Date:       2012-08-30 15:31:49

http://www.oif.ala.org/oif/?p=3972

Leading up to Banned Books Week 2012, ALA will highlight one book from its new \
timeline of banned and challenged books each day. Today we feature 1983, when I Know \
Why the Caged Bird Sings, by Maya Angelou, faced significant controversy.

In 1983, four members of the Alabama State Textbook Committee called for the \
rejection of “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings,” claiming the work preaches \
“bitterness and hatred toward white people and encourages deviant behavior because of \
references to lesbianism, premarital sex and profanity.” Maya Angelou’s \
autobiography, published in 1969 and nominated for a National Book award in 1970, \
details the poet’s early years and illustrates the power of literature in surviving \
trauma and adversity. Angelou’s numerous awards and honors include the National Medal \
of Arts in 2000 and the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2011.

For more information about Banned Books Week, please visit www.ala.org/bbooks.

Post to publib@webjunction.org
To drop or change your list settings
http://listserv.oclc.org/scripts/wa.exe?REPORT