List:       publib
Subject:    [Publib] East coast libraries
From:       "Sara Weissman" <Sara.Weissman () mainlib ! org>
Date:       2011-08-31 1:04:19

In our county ...most places open on Irene +2 but there has been some
flooding. Bigger headache just here is lack of power... we've been
out/closed for two days, others as well.  Internet down in many places,
which is of course a headache.**  Those that are open are winning new
patrons and community good will by offering charging stations for laptops
and cellphones, for the powerless.  My favorite? one woman walked in with
her curling iron and asked if she could use it in the ladies room?!
Jersey pictures here...rivers are still rising
http://photos.nj.com/star-ledger/index.html
Vermont, of course, looks to be a nightmare?!

**It's been quite clear since Irene hit that the best/effective
communications in times of massive power outages  are those that can hit
cellphone....Twitter, Facebook and the like. And the best news source
locally, re: power coming back up, etc.? Not the two local papers, but the
patch.com microblog ...

--------
Reference Dept
Morris County Library