List:       publib
Subject:    Re: [Publib] Survey: Media Security and Theft
From:       <rzurn () duluth ! lib ! mn ! us>
Date:       2010-09-30 18:40:27

Christy,
I'm also interested in how libraries are securing discs.  I look forward to getting these results.

Renee

Renee Zurn
Supervisor, Adult Services
Duluth Public Library
520 W. Superior St.
Duluth, MN  55802
218/730-4240
rzurn@duluth.lib.mn.us
fax: 218/723-3822

>>> Christy Shannon Smirl <csmirl@tclib.org> 9/22/2010 2:46 PM >>>
We've had a gradual increase in theft of console games and DVDs (we
currently have no security system), and we're reviewing our options.
If you have a moment to fill our this survey, please respond directly to me
at csmirl@tclib.org
I'll post a summary of my results to the list.

*Please describe your library and community briefly* (small, medium, large,
branch, branches, suburban, rural, urban).

*Have you had, or do you have a problem with media theft?  Do you have
statistics?*  Any other comments on the problem?

*Do you have a security system in place for materials?  Anything
particularly for audiovisual/media materials?  What system/process do you
have in place?*  This could include RFID, security gates, keeping discs
separate from cases, locking cases, vending machines.

*If you do have a security system in place:  Do you know the approximate
cost, and is there an increase in staff time to make it work?*

*If you do have a security system in place:  Do you feel that it works?  *Any
background info on before/after?

*Any other suggestions or comments?*

Thank you!

Christy Smirl