List:       publib
Subject:    Re: [Publib] FWD: [alacoun] President Roberta Stevens' response to
From:       James Casey <jcasey () olpl ! org>
Date:       2010-09-30 17:27:34

It isn't only the obvious ethical issues surrounding Enron and BP that shou=
ld give us pause when it comes to assessing private sector practices.   In =
general, the world of "for profit" endeavor in the United States has carrie=
d with it a vastly disproportionate system of rewards and benefits for the =
top management versus the line workers.
It is not unusual to hear about top management in larger and even medium si=
zed businesses earning as much as 50 times what the lowest paid full time e=
mployee makes.  Salaries and bonuses in the millions and tens of millions o=
f dollars per year are not uncommon.    Such an environment is foreign to t=
he public sector where even the President of the United States earns a comp=
aratively paltry $400,000 per year and his top aides clear $172,000.    A s=
chool superintendent might earn $200,000 per year while the average teacher=
 is at $75,000, and a public library director earning $65,000 per year migh=
t have low paid ft staff earning $25,000 per year.    Salaries generally te=
nd to be more commensurate with the levels of responsibility and qualificat=
ions in the public sector than in many areas of the private sector where th=
e profit motive may carry with it a fair measure of greed that does not nec=
essarily inspire or relate to improved service to the consumer.

I have the utmost respect for business persons and the risks they must take=
 in order to earn a profit.  However, those in the business world who would=
 suggest that the public sector (particularly public libraries) are populat=
ed with lazy and unfairly compensated workers may be pitching their rocks w=
hile living in a rather gigantic glass house.

James B. Casey --- My own views