List:       publib
Subject:    Re: [Publib] RFID Question
From:       "Sutterlin, Edith" <sutterline () einetwork ! net>
Date:       2010-09-30 1:21:59

When we converted to Bibliotheca RFID, we kept all formats, including VHS and \
audiocassettes, and we still have them, and now have Playaways which can also be \
problematic for tag placement.

We put the RFID tag on the VHS cassette itself. As you hold the tape cassette to \
insert it into the VHS player, the rewound tape is mostly on the left side, so our \
rectangular book tag fit on the right side of the cassette itself, not overlapping \
any edges. It reads fine that way. Not that everyone rewinds, but the majority of \
tapes are rewound when on the shelves, so least possible interference.

For our books on tape, we put the RFID tag (using recycled tags when possible)inside \
the container insert, so although the individual sound cassettes are not protected, \
it works for the self-checkout and if someone tried to take the whole container, it \
would set off the alarm.

Playaways also use book tags on the container inserts.

FWIW, although we can use "kit" rfid on multiple dvds or audiobooks when they are \
spread out in their container or if there are 4 to 7 or fewer, depending on the \
amount of metal (nothing works with the shiny bluish dvd-r discs.) We do a lot of \
trial and error, and a lot of reuse of rfid tags taken out of items we weed.

Edith Sutterlin
Northland Public Library
Technical Services Dept. Manager
Pittsburgh, PA