List:       publib
Subject:    Re: [Publib] acceptable uses of patron email addresses?
From:       Abigail Goben <abigailgoben () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-09-29 16:31:34

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

We have online newsletters at La Crosse Public Library. While we've made a
strong effort to promote it to patrons, we did not mine the database of
patron records.  I would personally be hesitant to automatically sign people
up.  If they're not looking for it, it may go to a spam filter, or it may
generate bad will because it's a surprise that they weren't expecting. We
have three newsletters : kids/teens/adults and by having opt in only we're
still reaching a large number of people without spamming those who aren't
interested.

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Bruce Flanders <
bflanders@lawrence.lib.ks.us> wrote:

> Do you have a policy regarding acceptable use of email addresses
> derived from your library's patron database? We would like to sign up
> our patrons with email addresses (over 20,000) for our monthly
> email-based newsletter (giving them the opportunity to opt out, of course).
>
> We have the philosophy (and policy to back it up) that library patron
> data is confidential and protected, but we also wish to use the email
> address information we have collected more effectively so that we're
> not only using it to send out overdue and reserve notices, but also
> monthly information about library services, collections, programs and
> events.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Bruce
>
> --