List:       publib
Subject:    [Publib] PLA Space
From:       "Michael Golrick" <michael.golrick () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-10-31 15:28:23

Hi-

Last weekend was the meeting of the PLA Board. We talked some about
the new PLAspace, and the announcement below appears in the recent
email blast from PLA.

In our meeting documents it said that the Communities of Practice are
currently open to anyone but "at some point next year"  PLA will
"tighten membership requirements ... to reflect PLAspace's value as a
PLA member benefit."

Hope this helps...and I will admit that I have not yet played around
much on PLAspace. My user name is mgolrick, and you should feel free
to "friend" me.

Michael Golrick
ALA Councilor-at-Large
PLA Board member

Join the Conversation at PLAspace.org!

More than 250 librarians, library staff members, and other supporters
who want to take part in ongoing, focused discussions surrounding
library issues have created accounts on PLAspace.org since it launched
in September. PLAspace members continue to add new Communities of
Practice (CoPs), tackling subjects such as urban libraries, collection
development, and small and medium libraries. PLA continues to make
updates to the site and will be rolling out phase two improvements,
which will include enhanced server function and user-friendly design.

CoPs are the evolution of PLA committees, but designed to make
participation possible for all members, not only those who are able to
travel. CoPs can be used to do the same type of work previously done
by committees. In addition to facilitating general discussion
surrounding various topics, groups can also plan special projects,
such as conference program proposals.

If you will be attending the Midwinter Meeting in Denver, Colo., PLA
will be offering CoP members an opportunity to congregate during the
All Committee Meeting. Participation is not required, but PLA staff
will be discussing PLAspace, how it can be used, and best practices.
The All Committee Meeting is scheduled for Sunday, January 25, 2009
from 8-11am (room location TBD). Visit www.plaspace.org for more
information, to join an existing conversation, or to start a new one.