List:       publib
Subject:    Re: [Publib] Shojo Beat and T+
From:       "Emily Horner" <emily.horner () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-07-31 15:53:44

On 7/31/07, elizabeth fraser <kcplmove@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>    We currently subscribe to Shonen Jump.  Due to its huge popularity, we
> want to add Shojo Beat.  Viz rates Shonen Jump as T and Shojo Beat as T+.
>
> T+ - Teen Plus. Recommended for older teens and adults. Posible
> sexually-oriented nudity, but no explicit sex. No bans on language. Possible
> gory violence.
>
> Can anyone, who subscribes, speak to how appropriate this would be for a
> teen area frequented by Tweeners as well?
>
> Thanks
>
> Elizabeth

With the titles in Shojo Beat, I think the biggest concern is going to
be the sex--there's definitely nothing explicit, but there is a lot of
sexual innuendo, sexual situations, a little nudity. There's rarely
gory violence-- with the exception of one of the stories, "Godchild,"
which is a Victorian horror-mystery kind of thing.
I wouldn't consider it appropriate for the average eleven-year-old,
but that's true of a lot of the books in the teen section--and I
haven't seen anything in the magazine that's more explicit than the
average young adult novel. So I don't consider it inappropriate for my
teen area.

Emily Horner
Youth Services Librarian
Southgate Branch Library, Raleigh, NC