List:       publib
Subject:    [Publib] Wide screen vs. Full screen
From:       "John" <jrichmond () alphapark ! org>
Date:       2007-07-31 15:39:12

Once again, these are the things that roil the waters and torment our
souls.  I have just been dealing with what kind of outdoor bench to buy
in honor of a dear, departed former library board president, with
*multiple* opinions offered by various people...yet I can present a
million dollar budget to the board, and it gets passed with almost no
hoopla.  People are weird, and I include myself in that.

Actually, I have found this thread educational, assuming that all the
techno-info about fancy TVs and what the gummint is going require of us
is true.  (I knew about the govt. part, actually.)  I don't watch enough
TV to merit upgrading to what we will be forced to upgrade to when the
entertainment industry and Washington get through with us, but what's a
body to do?  I am not a conspiracy theorist, really--I think Mr. Oswald
acted alone in killing Mr. Kennedy--but I am quite certain that some
entertainment lobbyists have been feeling up (ahem) our congresscritters
when it comes to digital this and that.  Consider the fact that the drug
industry essentially wrote the Medicare bill that forbade any dickering
with drug companies for better prices.  Should we be surprised?

Watching a widescreen version of a movie on TV is, to me, like
stretching a rubberband with little figures and buildings on it across a
space that could hold much, much more than it does when widescreen this
'n' that are in operation.  But then, I didn't know how ignorant I have
been in watching those old-fashioned, full screen VHS movies that I have
almost no time to watch anymore.  No doubt unconsciously I secretly have
longed for the widescreen experience in my own living room...but where
is Dr. Freud when you need him?

Meanwhile, we order 99.9% wide screen versions of movies for our public,
because that seems to be the most available "option."  Sacrificially, I
put personal preference aside in order to serve the public.  Except that
it means that most of the time, when I *am* tempted to check out a DVD
from my own library, I don't.  (My wife and I are of the same mind in
all of this, so at least we are deprived together.  Unless, of course,
APL owns a VHS copy of whatever it is we want to see.)  (Do you hear the
sad, soft violins playing in the background...?)  :)

John D. Richmond, Director
Alpha Park Public Library District
3527 So. Airport Road
Bartonville, IL 61607-1799