List:       publib
Subject:    [Publib] Food/drink policies along with
From:       TNew () ci ! bedford ! tx ! us (TNew () ci ! bedford ! tx ! us)
Date:       2007-05-30 19:29:47

Just a couple quick thoughts...

Having worked in both a "no food/no drink" and a "food & drink allowed"
library I can say that not only the patrons but the staff are much happier
with the second policy.

I *can* see a need for no food or drink areas like in areas where special
or rare collections are being housed.  As for drinks around computers, it
has never been a problem in any library I've worked.

Finally, so many libraries are adding coffee shops and/or cafe's that I
don't see how it would possible to keep food and drinks out.  People are
generally careful.  The only tip I can offer is keep a roll of paper
towels at the Information/Reference Desk for quick clean up.

Hope this helps.

Tony New, MLS
Information Resources Supervisor
Bedford Public Library
1805 L. Don Dodson Dr., Bedford, TX  76021
Office: 817-952-2340; Fax 817-952-2396; Main No. 817-952-2330
tnew@ci.bedford.tx.us  -----  http://www.bedfordlibrary.org