List:       publib
Subject:    [Publib] Roving Reference
From:       donnab () mail ! sgcl ! org (Donna Bacon)
Date:       2007-05-30 16:26:56

Some of you asked of our procedures for roving reference.  I copied and
pasted them in my email below.

Donna Bacon
Springfield-Greene County Library, MO

Roving Guidelines for Reference Staff

What is roving reference?

Roving reference  requires that a staff person be "on the floor" moving
throughout the building actively looking for patrons to assist.  The purpose
of roving is to be proactive in identifying and assisting patrons who might
not otherwise approach a reference desk.  Staff are encouraged to approach
patrons with the question: "Are you finding what you need?"

Who Should Rove?

All city branches should schedule Reference staff to rove on a regular
basis.  All county branches should rove as scheduling permits.

How do we Rove?

Roving should be conducted at least twice per hour, more if time permits.
Roving may not be possible if the reference desk is very busy.  However, if
other staff are available and are scheduled off the desk, they may be asked
to assist with roving.  Our busiest times are when we need rovers the most,
but are also the times when it may be the most difficult.  Each branch will
be developing a pattern that works best for them and for our patrons.  Staff
will pay particular attention to patrons using our catalogs.  Not every
patron on the floor needs to be approached.  If a patron is using a laptop,
or looks as if they are engrossed in what they are doing, then they probably
do not need our assistance.  Making eye contact with a patron is one sign
that they are approachable.  Observing a patron browsing items on the shelf
is often a good time to ask if they need assistance.  Just being seen on the
floor and identified as a staff person will provide better service.

How do we count roving reference?

A Roving Reference form should be used by each staff person for each day
they rove.  Only questions answered while on the floor should be counted as
roving.  If you started the question while on the floor, but then moved to
the desk to finish it, then count it as roving.  The form will require the
staff person's name, time they roved, and the date.  Under "time", record
with hash marks the number of times you rove during your shift.

All reference questions should be tallied under the Reference section.  For
these purposes, we are not counting reference questions by subject.  We are
more concerned about what is happening when staff rove.

Count all referrals under the Referral section.  This may include referring
a patron to another staff person or to another desk, such as circulation or
childrens.  If at all possible, walk the patron to the desk and explain what
they need.

Count all assistance with computers, copiers, printers, microfilm readers,
under the Machine Assistance.  Be careful, these can often be reference
questions, not assistance with the equipment.  Count these questions the
same as you would at the reference desk.

Count issues you deal with while on the floor under Behavior Issues.  This
may include dealing with a difficult patron, waking someone up, or
discovering any type of problem while on the floor.

Count any assistance denied under the Help Offered, Declined section.  We
want to know how many patrons staff approach and especially, how many
decline assistance.  Sometimes patron will approach you later for assistance
if they know you are there, or someone else will overhear you and ask for
help.

Reference questions should be tallied and added to the monthly reference
question count.   Use the Monthly roving form to tally for the month for
your branch.  These will be posted to the staff page.  Send all final
monthly forms to Donna.  Managers should keep track of how often each staff
person roves and how successful they are.

What is Not Roving Reference?

.	Questions asked and answered at a desk

.	Questions asked at a desk that require staff to go into the stacks
with the patron.

.	Social conversations with patrons while roving.

. Revised August 30, 2006