List:       publib
Subject:    [Publib] Playaways and Wee-Fee
From:       jrichmond () alphapark ! org (John)
Date:       2007-04-27 11:34:04

We started getting Playaways via a library system grant this year.
We're up to 25 titles, more-or-less, with more to come.  They seem to be
fairly popular, though we haven't had them long enough to get a good
"read" on how they will circulate.  A first report to the system showed
46 circs for 16 titles.  Staff--perfectly competent people, I assure
you--thought, after wrestling with and breaking several of the security
strips, or whatever you want to call those pieces of some kind of
synthetic material, to say to heck with security.  At the moment we have
room to keep the actual "books" behind the circ desk; we put the empty
cases out for people to bring to us.

I am too dumb, technologically speaking, to say much about our wi-fi,
except to note that we don't filter, and people can sit in their cars or
at our picnic table on the grounds and access the wireless network.  No
security problems yet, so I assume our techie (contracted, not on staff,
so I can't go ask him what he did) worked wonders with security.  Access
doesn't extend too far beyond the building, however, as the local high
school is less than a half-mile down the road, and we didn't want to
give students the luxury of playing around on our internet when they
ought to be doing something else.

John Richmond, who puts a lot of blind faith and trust in his techie
Alpha Park Public Library District
Beautiful Bartonville, IL