List:       publib
Subject:    [Publib] serving youth in out-of-school time conference in October
From:       vjpitchford () urbanlibraries ! org (Veronda J !  Pitchford)
Date:       2006-07-28 17:05:04

Greetings,

I wanted to let you know about this conference in October.  I think it is a
very exciting topic and I do hope you can be there.

Serving urban youth during out-of-school hours will be the focus of a major
conference, Learning in Libraries: A National Call to Action, to be held
October 19-20 in New York City.  The registration deadline is August 31.

The conference is presented by the Urban Libraries Council with support from
the Wallace Foundation and in conjunction with the New York Public Library,
Brooklyn Public Library and Queens Public Library.

We encourage you to attend and tell your colleagues about this important
conference. As you may know, "Out-of-School Time" programming is a growing
national issue that is attracting serious attention from local, state and
national policy makers and legislators.

The purpose of the conference is to strengthen the capacity of public
libraries to provide quality programs and services for children and youth
during the summer and on weekends, as well as after school.

Conference participants are encouraged to bring a team of existing or
potential community partners to attend. Such teams might include school and
governing officials and representatives of youth service organizations, as
well as senior library staff.

Participation is limited. To register and for more information, including a
preliminary program, see:
http://www.urbanlibraries.org/lil_conf_factsheet.html.

Please send questions to info@urbanlibraires.org or call 847-866-9999.

Thank you.

Veronda

veronda j. pitchford
program officer, urban libraries council
1603 orrington, suite 1080
evanston, il 60201
t: 847.733.3656
f: 847.866.9989
w:www.urbanlibraries.org

Strengthening the Public Library as an essential part of urban life.