List:       publib
Subject:    [Publib] Policies on public materials distribution
From:       Carolyn.Rawles-Heiser () ci ! corvallis ! or ! us (Rawles-Heiser, Carolyn)
Date:       2005-05-26 13:14:18

My understanding is that if you have a public distribution area such as a place where \
organizations can place brochures, newsletters, flyers about events, the area should \
be content-neutral.  That is, anything that is not blatantly illegal (which is a \
pretty high bar), should be allowed within the confines of time, place and manner \
restrictions (i.e., you can have a policy that all materials may be left only for x \
amount of time, regardless of the content of the materials).     The library \
shouldn't be making decisions about what is and is not appropriate once the area is \
opened to public use.    There is no obligation to have materials from all \
candidates, bar "hit" pieces, ban partisan candidates, etc.      It's a good idea to \
have some kind of disclaimer posted in the area letting users know that the library \
does not control the content of the materials left, etc., and giving guidelines about \
your time, place, and manner restrictions. I would double check with your attorney on \
this.

Carolyn Rawles-Heiser
Library Director
Corvallis--Benton County Public Library