List:       publib
Subject:    [PUBLIB] B&T Title Source - have you thought about other options?
From:       plib2 () webjunction ! org (PUBLIB)
Date:       2005-04-28 16:13:10

Sender: "Robin K. Blum" <info@inmybook.com>

How about skipping the wholesaler altogether and ordering the book
directly from the publisher?  Small publishers in particular would bend
over backwards to get your business.  And your local independent
bookstore would do triple-somersaults to sell to their local library...I
bet you'd get a nice discount too.

B&T and Ingram have bookstores and libraries over a barrel, and that's
just the way they like it.  They're in control of inventory, returns,
discount schedules, backorders and they want to keep it that way.
They're perfectly happy returning more copies of the book than they
bought from a certain publisher (i.e., returning their own and others
returns too), and charging them for "warehousing" the stock til they get
around to returning them.  It's a racket and a profitable one too.
Ingram is even more guilty of this than B&T.

I also wish folks would not automatically jump to the idea of purchasing
everything at Amazon.com (as we've been trained to do by the
corporation) and investigate how they can patronize and support small
and local businesses.  The local public library should patronize the
local independent bookstore.

Robin K. Blum
www.inmybook.com