List:       publib
Subject:    [PUBLIB]  (fwd)
From:       plib2 () webjunction ! org (PUBLIB)
Date:       2005-04-27 15:56:58

Sender: "Gerry Vogel" <GVogel@daytonmetrolibrary.org>

Dear people involved with collections at multi-branch libraries:

We are trying to find a better way to handle "last copies", books that
are being withdrawn at branch level for many possible reasons.

Most of these are items that have clearly been superseded, are extremely
dated, or of no use because of condition.  However, we have had a policy
of researching last copies to make sure we do not discard items that may
be of future use or interest (especially if they have local ties or
interest), and were perhaps just in the wrong place.  Also, some of them
are items found on branch shelves were already missing or lost, and are
then found, but are not inventoried and may be of use.  Ones we think
may be of future use we keep in our main library storage collection.

I am interested to find out what our counterparts do at branch level OR
at main with last copies:

1) do you even care?  Just pitch them?

2) do you have guidelines about what to keep?

3) is this determined at branch level or main?

Please help us find an answer here.

You can reply to this list if you want, or just to me -- I would be
happy to post a summary of responses later.

Gerry Vogel, Assistant Manager of Adult Services

Dayton Metro Library

215 E. 3rd St., Dayton OH 45402

t: 937-227-9559, f: 937-227-9528, c: 937-414-0115

* opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily DMLs*