List:       publib
Subject:    [PUBLIB] B&T Title Source II (fwd)
From:       plib2 () webjunction ! org (PUBLIB)
Date:       2005-04-27 15:55:17

Sender: "John" <jrichmond@alphapark.org>
Subject: B&T Title Source II

Hasn't been a discussion of this for awhile--I checked the archives--so....  There \
has been muttering among library directors in the Peoria area about a) the ridiculous \
cost of Title Source II, and b) its technical problems.  Our bookkeeper, who does the \
actual B&T ordering, hates the system, considers it user-unfriendly.  Lately TSII has \
been soooo slooooowww, with lots of error messages after attempted searches.  Our B&T \
rep essentially said to me, "Gee, it's a great system, what's wrong with you, and \
here are a couple of techie fixes which your IT guy can try, and they'll probably \
help."  (They didn't.)  Meanwhile, our regional system has a new contract with \
Brodart, with better discounts--I used Brodart in TX and was quite happy with it--and \
BIBZ is free.  Still developing, and not without its weirdnesses, but FREE.

We're thinking about just saying NO to TSII, perhaps keeping some standing orders \
(paperbacks, maybe) with B&T, moving mostly to Brodart, and using amazon and other \
sites--which we do already, for lots of stuff that is backordered on B&T (?until \
Jesus returns?)--for whatever we can't get.  Oh--and Ingram, too--using them, I mean, \
though right now we only buy A-V from Ingram.

I'm curious to know if there are others out there who a) dislike TSII, b) dislike the \
price so much that they have jettisoned TSII, and c) have gone on to other vendors.  \
Are you HAPPY?  Are you GLAD you did it?  Did your budget MISS the Title Source II \
line devoted to it?  If you have kept on ordering some stuff from B&T, how do you do \
it *without* TSII?

Please write an essay of no more than ten words and get it to me by tomorrow--oh, \
wait, flashback to high school and/or college.  You may respond directly to me, if \
you so choose.  Thanks.

John D. Richmond, Director
Alpha Park Public Library District
3527 So. Airport Road