List:       publib
Subject:    [PUBLIB] Mass Market paperbacks (fwd)
From:       plib2 () webjunction ! org (PUBLIB)
Date:       2005-04-27 15:55:05

Sender: "John" <jrichmond@alphapark.org>
Subject: Mass Market paperbacks

I wonder if anyone out there has come up with a really spiffy way to keep track of \
massmarket paperbacks by well-known authors--books that ONLY come out in pb format.  \
So far I haven't found a vendor that provides a handy standing order plan for authors \
whose works come out only or occasionally in pb.  Unless you just get on standing \
order plans for specific genres...which, according to PW, seems to be the way mass \
market paperbacks are being produced--blocks of genres, perhaps not so many general \
fiction titles.  I once suggested to our B&T rep that it would be really wonderful if \
the "Automatically Yours" plan could include paperback-only books by the Nora \
Robertses of this world, as well as hardcover editions; I can't remember what he \
said, but the answer was, essentially, "We can't do that."

Maybe the more general question is: Is anyone happy with the system he or she has for \
ordering mass market paperbacks (for those who order them, and especially if you \
catalog them, as we do)?  And, if so, what makes you happy?  What is your secret?  I \
am not entirely sure I'm crazy about any of the standing order plans we've tried for \
paperbacks, but maybe I'm expecting too much and/or want perfection in a plan.

Thanks.  You may respond directly, if so moved.

John D. Richmond, Director
Alpha Park Public Library District
3527 So. Airport Road
Bartonville, IL 61607-1799