List:       publib
Subject:    [PUBLIB] Safeguarding Privacy in the Fight Against Terrorism (fwd)
From:       plib2 () webjunction ! org (PUBLIB)
Date:       2004-05-18 16:15:58

Sender: "Don Wood" <dwood@ala.org>
Subject: Safeguarding Privacy in the Fight Against Terrorism

Safeguarding Privacy in the Fight Against Terrorism
http://www.cdt.org/security/usapatriot/20040300tapac.pdf

"The Technology and Privacy Advisory Committee (TAPAC) to the
Pentagon,
originally formed to provide advice on the Total Information Awareness
project, has recommended new rules for government data mining projects
involving personal data -- rules that would protect both civil
liberties
and national security. TAPAC's final report was issued in March but
has
just become publicly available."--Benton's Communications-related
Headlines for 5/18/04

The draft of a report of great
importance to our personal lives as well as our nation's
security has been floating around Congress and the
administration for the past two months.

Because "Safeguarding Privacy in the Fight Against
Terrorism" is not stamped secret - and because it is
intended to prevent a future body blow to our system rather
than expose a past scandal - the 119-page document
commissioned by the Department of Defense has not surfaced
until now.

"DOD should safeguard the privacy of U.S.persons when using data mining
to fight terrorism."Data mining " is
defined to mean:searches of one or more electronic databases of
information concerning U.S.persons,by or on
behalf of an agency or employee of the government."